Legal Question in Juvenile Dependency in California

I just received court documentation naming me as a defendant ( along with the county social worker and the foster family) in a child abuse case against a foster parent while I was the director of the foster care program 4 or 5 years ago. The foster child allegedly claims she was raped against her will by the foster parent's adult son. She became pregnant as a result. When it was brought to my attention, I immediately removed the child from the home and decertified the foster parent. I have no representation and don't know what to do. And, the hearing is next week according to the court documentation.

Asked on 2/16/14, 4:22 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

You need representation. You can check with any insurance company which insures you personally or the program to see if they will provide representation.

For more information you might check on a civil litigation page.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/14, 9:57 am
Scott Brear Law Practice of Scott Irvin Brear

You need representation. It appears as if you did everything you could have done in a timely manner. The argument might be failure to thoroughly check out the foster family including the adult son, but even with that you might not have been able to predict this horrid result. This would seem to be the only angle that a litigant might have...that you knew or should have known of a propensity to molest/rape in another adult staying at the foster home. It also sounds as if someone might be fishing for a negotiated settlement for the matter to go away. Find an attorney even if in legal aid...and I would also contact County Counsel as they would have been your attorney if you were still employed and CoCo would no doubt still be involved in assisting the Department of Social Services. Good luck! Scott Irvin Brear, Shasta County.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/14, 3:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Juvenile Dependency questions and answers in California