Legal Question in Juvenile Dependency in California


My son (16) was arrested for shoplifting.

(1)I picked him up at the store at the request of the arresting officer. No paper work was given/to be sent by mail. Received 47 days after the date. Arrested Feb 23 at about 9:00 PM and received notice of appointment with probation dept on April 11. Does he not have the right to a speedy trail as an adult does? (within 45 days)

(2)He was apprehended inside the store. (before going through the sensors and exiting the doors.) Doesn't he have to be outside the store?

(3)Should I seek representation or just admit guilt?

Asked on 4/13/03, 2:40 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

E. Daniel Bors Jr. Attorney & Counselor At Law

Re: Shoplifting

Dear Inquirer:

Nothing herein shall create an attorney-client relationship, unless a written retainer agreement is executed by the attorney and client. This communication contains general information only. Nothing herein shall constitute an attorney-client communication nor legal advice. There likely are deadlines and time-limits associated with your case; you should contact an attorney of your choice for legal advice specific to your personal situation, at once.

If you haven't already done so, please visit my

web site at --

The site contains quite a bit of general information about California Family Law, Tenants' Rights, and Juvenile Dependencies, as well as information about me (education, experience, et cetera) and my office (location, hours, fees, policies).


I do not represent clients in Juvenile Delinquency matters, but PLEASE get your son a lawyer!!

Thanks for sharing your interesting inquiry with us on LawGuru, and good luck with your case.

Read more
Answered on 4/17/03, 8:34 pm

Jonathan Kelman Law Offices of Jonathan I. Kelman

Re: Shoplifting

At this point you should not admit guilt and speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible - please call me at 310-286-1218.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/03, 7:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Juvenile Dependency questions and answers in California