Legal Question in Employment Law in California

My boyfriend was an employee at a Dollar Tree store in Los Angeles , california. He worked night shifts doing stock which included manual labor - unloading the inventory from the trucks and stocking shelves . He had a heart attack last weekend while not at work, and ended up in the Er and had to have open heart surgery the following morning. He was in the hospital for 5 days and was released this past Wednesday. His first doctor appointment to see the surgeon again is this Wednesday coming up. We were told that he would be getting a doctors note to excuse him from work at that appointment . Mean while , his work is demanding that he bring in his doctors note immediately. We explained to him that he sees the doctor this week and he will provide them with the doctors note as soon as he has it. Yet they continue to pressure him and they are implying they are going to fire him if he doesn’t provide it immediately. Can they do this? My boyfriend is trying to recover and there pushy demands are causing him to have chest pain as he is now worried he is going to lose his job. Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated . Thanks !

Asked on 5/19/19, 10:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys


Employers can request doctor's certificate. From what you are describing his heart attack may be partially caused by work because his job seemed to be very heavy and demanding. So he may file a claim for worker's compensation benefits. The question of causation would be determined by a medical examiner based on his medical history and his employment history and nature of his job. Feel free to call me at 213-388-7070 for a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/19, 5:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California