Legal Question in Employment Law in California

i'm a commercial fisherman working on a squid boat in California. it has been over 45 days since we have gotten paid. For the past 3 weeks ive been told paychecks will be ready in a couple days and a lot of excuses such as its in the mail or i'm doing more paperwork etc. My worry is because i'm no longer an employee with the company am i ever going to get paid. my captain told me to pack my bags (medical reasons) a couple weeks ago which i did. Ive been in contact with the office captain and crew. Office is blaming my captain, captain is blaming someone else, adn my crew hasnt gotten paid and want to go on strike. Please help me out as i'm unfamiliar with maritime law.

Asked on 8/08/13, 11:23 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

not to familiar with maritime law but I would suggest contacting the labor commissioner

Read more
Answered on 8/08/13, 10:52 pm

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

It isn't maritime law. Any CA employee can file an unpaid wage claim with the Labor Commissioner office, or a lawsuit, for unpaid wages, OT, penalties, interest, and if you win, you are entitled to recover your attorney fees.

If serious about hiring counsel for this, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 8/10/13, 12:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California