Legal Question in Employment Law in California

I was hired as an exempt manager (salaried) yet was required to do non exempt work and placed on the hourly work schedule. I have been terminated from the nonprofit organization. Do I have the right to challenge the job classification, would I be entitled to back pay for the hours worked when over 8 hours in a day and how would I go about this

Asked on 12/24/12, 11:13 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Arkady Itkin Law Office of Arkady Itkin


Yes, if you were improperly classified and not paid overtime for the hours worked in excess of 8 hours a day, you can bring a claim for unpaid wages with the local Dept. of Labor Standards Enforcement. The statute of limitations is 3 years, so you should file sooner or later if the dates on which you worked overtime go back this long. You should also consider having an attorney represent you at these proceedings, especially if the amount is substantial.


Arkady Itkin

Read more
Answered on 12/24/12, 12:27 pm

You may have a claim against your former employer for unpaid overtime wages. Feel free to contact us for a free consultation at (213) 201-9331..

Read more
Answered on 12/24/12, 2:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California