Legal Question in Employment Law in California

I live in California, I don’t know what the labor laws are here, but I am in a big situation where my employer wants to transfer me to another site far from where I live, the reason I can’t be transfer is because of my daughter, I am a single parent and I rely on my mom to care for her, but many times my mom is not able to care or pick her up from school, I need to be close to them in an emergency situation, my mom’s health is not delicate, I have to be close to them, I chose no to any transfer with my employer when I initially got hired, can they transfer me against my will when is on paper that I chose no to be transferred? What can I do in this situation. This issue has given me a lot of anxiety and stress. Please let me know.

Asked on 8/22/19, 8:41 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

California is an "at will" employment state. That means you can quit for any reason at any time and they can fire you for any reason at any time, provided it is not based on illegal discrimination, such as because of your race, or for whistle-blowing or enforcing your labor law rights. If they do not have "just cause" to fire you, they still can fire you, but you are entitled to collect unemployment. So they can give you the choice to transfer or be fired. If they fire you, it would not be for cause. So you would get unemployment, but it would be legal to fire you.

Read more
Answered on 8/26/19, 11:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California