Legal Question in Employment Law in California

I work on a ranch doing everything that needs to be done.i have worked at this job since time of hiring- I was promised $10 per hour cash plus free rent and free utilities( electricity, water, sewer, garbage) ,and reimbursement for job related expenses. Aside from my receiving small amounts of money on a hand full of occasions, I have not received any of my unpaid wages. These wages date back to 2010. I have received the free rent and utilities. But every time I requested my pay,I was given the story that there was no money to give right now..but don't worry myself and my wife can reside here for free for the rest of our lives..during my time of working here,one of the corp. Owners became unable to care for himself and needed round the clock care..with no one else to do it, it fell upon my wife..she was also told she would be paid to care for him, which she was at a very low rate of $15.00 per hour. She was only paid for 12 hours a day although she was there 24 hours a day 7 day a week. But after the 3rd month but when she tried to turn in her time card she was notified there is no money but she will receive free rent and free utilities as long as she lives,understand that she performed the tasks of a registered nurse.. This man was blind ,could not walk, had suffered a stroke, was on cumadin, And had Parkinson's and dementia. He could not do much without constant assistance. She took care of him for over a year. Unable to have even a day off unless she paid someone out of our own pocket. Now the corp. Is being turned over to the daughter of the remaining owner.. He is still alive but is currently pushing 90 years old. My question is this, what are my options since the person taking over has made it clear we will be forced to leave upon the death of her father, and says we will also not be recieving any of the unpaid and very long over do wages..we are senior citizens on s.s., so we do not have the income to live anywhere else, which is why we have continue to remain working without receiving the wages that were promised. Now we are also about to lose our home as well. What can we do to fight this, or to get the wages due to us since 2010.

Asked on 6/23/19, 4:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Katrina Saleen Broderick Saleen

You should speak with an employment attorney right away. The California Labor Code allows you to sue for you and your wife's unpaid wages, unpaid overtime hours, and allows for you to seek penalties and attorneys' fees from your employer. While the statute of limitations is generally three years under the Labor Code, you could potentially go back four years if you file a lawsuit in Superior Court. Feel free to give me a call at (916) 550-3092 if you have further questions.

Read more
Answered on 6/24/19, 9:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California