Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

i have a 1 year lease that ends in July 2012 but wish to end the lease early due to extremely noisy neighbor and thier drug use lasting until 2 or 3 am almost every night when i have to be up at 4am for work, made verbal reports to management several times with no resolve. and a few times someone came looking for the tenents i've mentioned at very early morning hours pounding on my door as well as other neighbors trying to find the noisy drug abusing neighbors mentioned and i want out now to find another but safe residence

Asked on 2/16/12, 7:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Gibbs The Gibbs Law Firm, APC

If you have repeatedly, and in writing, complained to the management or owner of the property, AND you can document the conduct of the neighbors, then you can send a notice to your landlord that you consider him/her to be in breach of the implied convenant of quiet enjoyment and/or that the landlord is knowingly allowing a nuisance to continue which affects your right of quiet enjoyment of your apartment. Indicate in your notice that based upon the landlord's breach of the lease agreement, you are electing to terminate the lease and move. Be prepared that the landlord with withhold your security deposit, and likely sue you for breach of lease damages, but if you can prove that the landlord was in breach of your lease by allowing this conduct, you may prevail and owe nothing. These aren't the easiest cases to win, so you would be very well served to hire a tenant right's attorney in your area to represent you and guide you through the process.

*Due to the limitations of the LawGuru Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. Further, information you provide to the Firm through this website is not confidential - it is available publicly to anyone visiting this website. The Firm shall have no obligation to keep the information you provide herein confidential in any context. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence. As required by 11 U.S.C. 528, we must now disclose that, "We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Assistance we provide with respect to Debt Relief may involve bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code."

Read more
Answered on 3/02/12, 8:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California