Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

Hello I need advice on tenant landlord issue. I'm currently being evicted due to unpaid rent which was due July 10th. The month prior I overpaid by 100 dollars to go towards julys rent. On July 19th we were served by the real estate company and given 60 days. The home owner who is also a lawyer then started to send us various letters about suing for rent due, on August 12th a sheriffs officer served us a lock out notice which stated the date would be aug 20 6:00am. But a judge did not sign it a clerk did. Unfortunately I'm trying very hard to gather my things and comply with the requests but I'm scared I won't be out on time due to lack of finances. Is there anything I can do or say to possibly ask for an extra day or so

Asked on 8/19/13, 3:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

It might be too late now for this answer to do any good. California law permits an extension of time for good cause upon application to a court. The tenant, though, must post with the court the reasonable rental value for the additional time that the court grants before the eviction is stopped.

Read more
Answered on 8/21/13, 7:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California