Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California


We are in a one year rental contract. We are in a single family home. But recently after moving in the house for a month, we had rodent sightings in our rental home. What are the steps we should be taking? If we are in a one year contract, can we provide a 30 days notice to leave the premises and only have them take the security deposit and not pay the full year's rent? We still have about 10 months left to the contract. What are our legal rights as tenants when there is a rodent sighting in the rental house? There is no mention of pests in the rental contract. Only that any damage to the house is responsibility of the tenant.

Asked on 9/06/14, 7:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

You need to give your landlord notice to fix the problem immediately unless the rodents are getting in through your own fault. If he refuses to fix it, I suggest suing him and consider moving.

Read more
Answered on 9/08/14, 8:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California