Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

I have lived in my apartment building in Silver Lake since April '09. In November '09 I switched to a larger unit, ending my lease and starting another year-long lease at that point. However, in the past month I have discovered that there is a violent sex offender living in my building who has not been evicted, there was a person who owned an illegal automatic gun who had a warrent out for his arrest living above me (who used my balcony to escape from the police) who was arrested, there was a young adult who died from a drug overdose in a unit, and now today I had an electric scooter that was worth $1000 stolen. I feel extremely unsafe and want to get out of my lease. Am I legally able to do so?

Asked on 2/02/10, 6:42 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Daniel Bakondi The Law Office of Daniel Bakondi

I could write a letter to hopefully convince the landlord not to come after you if you vacate. Contact my office.


Daniel Bakondi, Esq. [email protected] 415-450-0424

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication may contain confidential information, privileged information, or attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient or received this message in error, any use or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited and unlawful. Please notify the sender immediately, and delete this message. No attorney-client nor confidential relationship is created through this communication. Nothing communicated or provided constitutes legal advice nor a legal opinion unless it so specifies and written agreement for attorney services has been entered into. Your issue may be time sensitive and may result in loss of rights if you do not act in time. Thank you.

Read more
Answered on 2/07/10, 9:24 pm

Ronnie Gipson Higa & Gipson, LLP

In answer to your question, the written lease will govern whether or not grounds exist allowing you to get out of your lease. If the lease does not address this issue, then it is in your best interest to open a frank dialogue with the landlord and convey your concerns. I invite you to contact my office through our firm's website at

and we can discuss the pertinent issues.

Read more
Answered on 2/07/10, 10:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California