Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

Hello, i am a "LL" in a single family home.A woman came to me in June of 2009 asking me to rent her my garage just until she finds an apartment.As soon as she moved in she called building&safety;and the housing dep. telling them she lives in an unhabitable garage. I went to court without a lawyer and my case was dismissed,i didnt attach the notice to the UD. I am working on anothe UD this time i know what to do , but my question is can she winn the case &can;the judge ask me to pay relocation money if my tanent knew befor she even moved in that my garage is unhabitable?

Asked on 2/03/10, 10:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Bakondi The Law Office of Daniel Bakondi

You have a challenge ahead of you, but it may be possible to win. You have to highlight facts that you werent even trying to rent the garage and never had before. You have to also focus on how soon after moving in she called building and safety, for example, 2 days later. Trying to convince the judge that the whole thing was a scam by using such facts is the right direction, but it may not be enough - you also have to have the right procedures and legal arguments. Thus, you need an attorney - this is too procedurally sensitive an issue. If you make the wrong technical legal arguments, or dont make the right ones, you will lose even if the judge feels for you. I can assist you with this for a very reasonable rate.

Please contact my office for a free consultation.


Daniel Bakondi, Esq. [email protected] 415-450-0424 IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication may contain confidential information, privileged information, or attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient or received this message in error, any use or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited and unlawful. Please notify the sender immediately, and delete this message. No attorney-client nor confidential relationship is created through this communication. Nothing communicated or provided constitutes legal advice nor a legal opinion unless it so specifies and written agreement for attorney services has been entered into. Your issue may be time sensitive and may result in loss of rights if you do not act in time. Thank you.

Read more
Answered on 2/08/10, 10:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California