Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

I lost the keys to my apartment that I recently moved out of. Now the landlord said he is going to sue me for not returning the keys. I offered to pay to replace the locks but he says he is still going to sue. Can he do this? If so what will he sue for?

Asked on 8/17/13, 9:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

If you informed the landlord that you have surrendered possession, removed all of your belongings, and just couldn't provide the keys, that should be sufficient. I would suggest explaining in writing what happened with the keys and your offer. Send it certified, return receipt, and keep a copy. Then, the landlord would have no basis to sue. If he doesn't take you up on the offer, that would be his tough luck. Your defense would be that you offered to replace the locks at your own cost, but the landlord was unreasonable.

Read more
Answered on 8/21/13, 7:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California