Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

I rented my house for a film shoot, they damaged many things, there is a contract where they are responsible to repair everything but they are not willing to repair/pay. I have some estimates form contractors to repair everything and it would cost between 8500$ and 11000.

I don't have any business registered to rent the place for this, and charge for it, and I have been doing it a few times. The defendant knows that I'm renting my place frequently but I don't know if he knows that I'm not a business. I don't even know if I can do this as an individual. The contract is written under my name, nothing of fictitious business.

Other thing that I want to mention is that I'm not the owner of the house, and I don't have permission of the owner to do this. I decided to do this without asking him because I didn't read in my house rental contract nothing about being prohibited to run my business, and I'm a filmmaker too, so I thought it was ok and legal rent it

Asked on 8/11/15, 12:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nicholas Spirtos Law Offices of Nicholas B. Spirtos

Send a written demand for payment, with copies of the estimates attached. Send it via certified mail. Include a request that the film company provide its insurance information. If they provide it, you can submit a claim. If none of that works, sue the film company in small claims. While you may have acted improperly, that won't excuse them from liability for damage they caused.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/15, 8:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California