Legal Question in Legal Ethics in California

Hired an atty who deliberately/fraudulently recorded phony activities/billed for non-existent meetings/phone calls and services- I have proof from phone bills (verifying not only phone calls but where I was and when--for example bill showed I was out of town when atty claimed I met with him in his office)--the entire record of activities/associated invoice is phony and was presented to me 3 yrs after services terminated! How should this be handled?

Asked on 2/03/18, 5:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry

This should probably be handled like any other improper invoicing you might receive. You should first address it with the attorney that issued the invoice and try to work it out. If that doesn't work, and the attorney escalates the matter, you will need to present your arguments at an arbitration forum or in court.

If you believe the activity is intentionally improper, you can file a complaint against the attorney with the State Bar. While the Bar can start disciplinary proceedings against the attorney, however, it will not directly help you resolve the invoicing problem.

Read more
Answered on 2/03/18, 9:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in California