Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in California

What can I do when my primary care doctor refuses to give me my medical records. I have health net medical.

Asked on 7/30/14, 11:57 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Wasserman Michael Wasserman, Esq.

1. If you have not done so, make your request in writing; 2. In California, Health and Safety Code 123100 requires the doctor upon receipt of the written request to provide you with a copy within 15 days of receipt of the request; 3) If the doctor continues to refuse to give you your records, make a complaint to the California Medical Board; You could hire an attorney to help you get the records but if the doctor still refuses, a pleading can be filed to force the doctor to give you a copy but the process takes months.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/14, 6:40 am
Paymon Bidari Bidari Civil Defense

I agree with counsel above except you may have to submit a HIPPA release (your consent to release records) along with your request.

Read more
Answered on 8/06/14, 4:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in California