Legal Question in Military Law in California

Other Than Honorable Discharges

What effects does an Other that Honorable Discharge have on a civilian career? I currently have an appeal in over my courts martial and will be most likely recieving an OTH at my admin board. And whats the best way to go about upgrading it and is it even possible?

Asked on 4/30/04, 2:53 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Re: Other Than Honorable Discharges

The military will tell you that an Other Than Honorable Discharge can bar you from jobs and can brand you as a terrible person in life. In reality, some private employers will not ask or care about it, and some will. It may depend on what skills you have, how long you were in the military and the occupation/business involved. Of greater concern to employers may be a court-martial (criminal) conviction depending on what the conviction was for.

The best thing that you can do right now is to avoid receiving an OTH by asking for an administrative board hearing and being well represented by experienced counsel at the board. If you waive your right to a board, you virtually assure yourself of receiving an OTH discharge.

Read more
Answered on 5/03/04, 1:35 pm

Neal Puckett The Law Firm of Puckett and Faraj, PC

Re: Other Than Honorable Discharges

You will most likely be barred from working for any governmental agencies, federal, state or local. You can apply to your service's discharge review board, or board for correction of military records, to seek an upgrade.

Read more
Answered on 4/30/04, 3:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Military Law questions and answers in California