Legal Question in Native American Law in California

On a allowance?

My divorce was final in November 99. I recieved property and a cash settlement from my ex-husband. I got the houses; still haven't recieved all the stuff from the settlement and for the money he pays me $1600.00 a month. I thought I was to recieve the cash in a lump settlement? But he had me sign a paper saying "we" would pay the penalties to withdraw the money. It's all in stocks,bonds. So he says I can't have my money. But in the meantime he tells me he has no money? But he just bought a brand new Harley motorcycle-paid by check and now he's talking about getting a new work van. In the meantime I'm having a hard time paying my bills. Is there anyway I can take him back to court and have him pay me my money?

Asked on 7/22/00, 2:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark H. Gardner Mark Gardner Family Law, a Minnesota Law Firm.

Re: On a allowance?

First, I see nothing in your fact set to identify this as an Indian law problem. Is this a tribal case ????

Second, of course you may return to court to seek collections of an award made previously. Consult an experienced divorce collections lawyer licensed to practice in the courts of whatever tribe or state you are writing about.

Third, what could it possibly mean, "He made me sign..." ??? Did he hold a gun to your head? What could you possibly mean by that statement???

Read more
Answered on 9/12/00, 4:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Native American Law questions and answers in California