Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

When I was 13 I was assaulted by a clergy member. He took my virginity but used his finger. I remember crying in the bathroom afterwards, bleeding. Is that considered rape?

Asked on 10/29/19, 11:14 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian

Yes, you are a victim of a despicable act. Feel free to give me a call for a free confidential consultation. 888-936-3672 - 888-9ENFORCER

Read more
Answered on 10/30/19, 10:02 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

It is sexual assault and abuse, and a version of statutory rape. It should have been reported at the time to police and other authorities, like the church. It sounds like this was some time ago.

The stature of limitations for taking legal action against the abuser of a minor is 8 years after you turn 18. If you are still under that time limit, less than 26 now, you should consult with an experienced attorney like one of us here, to see if there is sufficient evidence, witnesses, documents, and corroboration of your claim, and thus grounds to bring criminal and civil action against him.

If that time has already passed, you are over 26, that limitations period can be extended under some circumstances, possibly giving you additional time to bring legal action. The facts will determine that. Consult with counsel now.

You can still 'go public' with disclosure to help others avoid him. After consulting with counsel, you should contact police to try to file a report so that there is at least a record made in the system, so that if he is charged sometime in the future, that record of earlier complaint would add credibility to any new charges against him. That is what now is going on with the 'me too' movement.

Read more
Answered on 10/31/19, 11:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California