Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I was in a car accident in 2006 and did not have adequate car insurance. I was sued by Progressive Insurance for $27,000 and the judgment was made in 2009. I have paid $12,000 of it off since 2009. Last month my license was suspend and levies have been put on my bank account because I have not paid Priority Collections and Progressive fast enough. I have been unemployed for 3 years so I am not eligible for a payment plan with the collection agency and not having a license prohibits me from being able to do the odd jobs I need to in order to survive. I do not want to file bankruptcy but I cannot sustain these finical attacks and having my driver's license suspended. Is there a statute of limitations on this type of judgement? Other than paying this off in full or filing for bankruptcy do I have any options for getting my licenses back?

Asked on 4/05/12, 2:25 pm

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping victims of automobile, motorcycle, pedestrian, slip-and-fall accidents and much more all over California. We can help you recover for your pain and suffering and other losses and expenses. No recovery No fee. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Find Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

2 Answers from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

California judgments expire after ten years, but they can be renewed for ten more years each time they expire.

I don't know of any ways to get your license back other than the ones you list. But I am not an expert in this field. Perhaps some of my colleagues will have suggestions.

Read more
Answered on 4/05/12, 2:39 pm

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Your answer will be found by contacting DMV and requesting a statement of what you have to do to get back your license, fully informing them of all the facts you claim. I suggest you write to them, rather than call. There is no easy answer for you.

Read more
Answered on 4/05/12, 4:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California