Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

dog bite

I was walking my dog on a leash & stopped to talk to some neighbors. Another neighbor's dog who was not on a leash and lived about 6 houses further down the street ran down the street and attacked my dog who did not see it coming. I tried to get the other dog off mine and was bitten also. Our vet bills were several hundred dollars and mine about $300. I missed several days at work, have continuing discomfort in my knee joint. I am a nurse and am on my feet all day. I had several deep punctures but no stitches. I have tried to deal with the owner's insurance company to little avail. The dog had bitten another neighbor's dog months before this bite. I

Asked on 7/14/01, 12:34 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Cortson Law Office of Michael D. Cortson, Esq.

Re: dog bite

You are entitled to full compensation. There is no "one bite" rule in California. If your dog bites someone, you are liable. The insurance company is taking advantage of you because you don't know the law. If your knee is bothering you, you need to see an orthopedist. I practice in California and Indiana. I used to represent insurance companies for 14 years and got sick of their dirty tricks.

Read more
Answered on 7/16/01, 6:03 pm
Howard Silver Law Offices Of Howard D. Silver

Re: dog bite

It sounds like you have a valid personal injury claim. You are entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering and medical bills. You have one year from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. Please call me at my office to discuss (818 597-2610). There is no charge for my services. Howard Silver

Read more
Answered on 7/16/01, 6:47 pm
Patty Lewis Law Office of Patricia Ann Lewis

Re: dog bite

In California you usually may recover for pain and suffering (general damages) as well as the costs of your medical bills and lost wages (special damages) for a personal injury claim. This type of claim would generally be subject to a one (1) year statute of limitations which means you must either settle or file a lawsuit within one year from the date of the accident. Whether you contact me or another lawyer, you should contact counsel as soon as possible to ensure that you preserve your claim for damages. By the way, usually (not required) these claims are handled on a "contingency" fee basis, meaning the lawyer's fees are "contingent" upon a recovery for you, which is how I handle personal injury claims. If you need further assistance from me, feel free to call my office at (619) 234-8199. Good luck to you. Patty Lewis.

Read more
Answered on 7/16/01, 11:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California