Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

Falsly accused

A big food corporation falsely accused me of purchasing items with counterfeit money. The cashier wrote a big black void on both sides of the legal tender, gave it back to me and called the police. When the police arrived, the bookkeeping clerk conducted a pin test on the legal tender and discovered it was excatly that, legal! The police took a call report, and I was offered a new legal tender. As a result of this act, I became emotionally distressed. Am I entitled to some sort of monetary compensation?

Asked on 4/23/02, 4:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rob Reed Law Office of Robert A. Reed

Re: Falsly accused

Well, if the food corp. was worth its "salt," they would have provided you with a free meal.

You could sue, and you could win... but the likelihood of any real money (that would justify an attorney handling your case for a percentage) is, in my opinion, unlikely.

Your best bet is to explain your problem to the big wigs at the food corp., ask that the offending employee be reprimanded (fired), and explain that you are very unhappy with the actions of the food corp.

You could expect that the employee would get reprimanded (and possibly fired)... and you just might receive a free lunch or two.

If you were forcibly held against your will until the police arrived, you might have a good case for false imprisonment. Feel free to call my office if this was the case.

Read more
Answered on 4/23/02, 5:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California