Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I took a friend to help me get some things from my place i sold. The new owners have pit bulls. And my friend was severly mauled. I couldnt do a thing bu take him to hospital. Ive. Never been afraid of dogs or taking walks but now i am. I miss my eav inv walks. Can i get compinsated?

Asked on 8/31/13, 7:40 pm

Experienced Mesothelioma Attorneys - SEG Law

Simon, Eddins & Greenstone, LLP, (SEG Law) is one of the country's most prominent trial law firms specializing in representing victims of cancer caused from exposure to hazardous substances such as asbestos. The firm was built on a shared passion to diligently and compassionately serve each client through every step of the legal process.

For more information visit us at

4 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Selik

The law limits damages to viewing horrific matters to close relatives. If you were afraid for yourself you may have a lawsuit.

Read more
Answered on 8/31/13, 8:05 pm

Michael Stone-Molloy The Lion's Law Office

Your friend has an automatic case against the dog owner, who is strictly liable for bites by his dog. You, on the other hand, will have to prove that the owner was in some way negligent, and that his negligence caused you to be severely afraid for your personal safety. This kind of claim is called "negligent infliction of emotional distress." Depending on the facts and circumstances of the event, you may have a case. Another very important issue is whether or not this dog owner has insurance. Both you and your friend should call me right away. (877) LION FOR LAW (546-6367) or email [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 9/01/13, 6:39 am
Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian

A bystander can only recover for negligent infliction of emotional distress if they are closely related to the victim, are present and aware of the injury, and suffer emotional distress as a result. Thing vs. La Chusa, 48 Cal.3d 644 (1989).

Your friend on the other hand, is a different story.

Feel free to contact me should you have further questions.

Read more
Answered on 9/01/13, 8:33 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

No, but she certainly can.

Read more
Answered on 9/04/13, 11:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California