Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I was hit by a person backing out of a parkiing space while I was driving by. My Insurance lapsed and I am in Ca. Do I have any rights? Or do I just lose? What do I do?

Asked on 10/09/09, 7:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian Dinday Law Offices of Brian R. Dinday

You're fine. I take it you were not hurt and the issue is the damage to your car. His insurance is liable for the full amount of your property damage. That is not affected by the new law about not having auto insurance. If you did go to the doctor, that is covered too. What you lost by not being insured is the right to sue for pain and suffering. So go make your claim. Get several estimates and send your favorite to the other guy's insurance company. They don't have the right to pay it directly to the auto repair shop. They pay to you. Expect to sign a full release for property damage claims in exchange for whatever you agree on. But if there is an injury, you can still leave your injury claim open til you are done treating.

Does that cover it? Free lawyers are nice, huh?

Read more
Answered on 10/09/09, 8:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California