Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

If i hit somebody's car, and he said "it is ok. no compensation needed." but few weeks later he asked me to give him compensation. and he called cops .. do i still have to pay for the car?

Asked on 2/27/10, 1:10 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

You can argue in court that he waived payment, but it would be your word against his. I would suggest tendering the claim to your insurance carrier and let its adjusters figure it all out.

Read more
Answered on 3/04/10, 1:26 am
Ben Glen Law Offices of Ben Glen, PC

You didn't describe the amount of damage you caused to the other person's car. Be sure to determine the extent of damage he claims is the same amount you saw, so that he doesn't take advantage of you. Hopefully, you have insurance and a small enough deductible so that most of the damage is covered by insurance. You may want to take pictures of the damage done to your vehicle and compare that damage to the other person's vehicle, especially if you think the other person is claiming more damage than he caused. Also, be sure to complete an SR-1 form and submit it to the Department of Motor Vehicles immediately, so your license is not suspended. If you have one, your insurance carrier will help you with this.

Read more
Answered on 3/04/10, 12:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California