Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

Injured during employer sponsored event

Last March I was injured while participating in an sport event sponsored by my employer. I had to take vacation days to participate but no liability statements were ever signed.

Up until now my health insurance has been covering the cost of recovery from knee surgery. However, a few weeks ago I was laid-off and I asked my company if they would pay my COBRA insurance for me as I still need physical therapy and a few more appointments with the surgeon. Unfortunately, they have not responded at all. Is there anything I can do with a lawyer? Would I have a case for liability? If I had to, would I be able to take them to court for pain and suffering and the remaing medical bills? So far the bills are between $10-15K and I expect another $2-3K in the next few months.

Asked on 8/16/01, 1:44 am

2 Answers from Attorneys


Re: Injured during employer sponsored event

Generally, the statute of limitations in California for personal injuries is one year.

Thus, you are barred if you did not file in March of 2001. You will not be able to sue for pain and suffering/medical bills/lost work due to the knee injury (presumably received at the event).

Also, depending on the event, you may have had causes of action against other person(s) and entities. Most likely, though, it is too late.

You state that your employer "sponsored" the event. Was this event "on the job" or maybe at

a co. picnic, or like a softball league? You may have (or had) a claim for your knee injuries under Worker's Compensation law.

You should seek the advice of a W.C. attorney immediately.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/01, 5:35 pm

Re: Injured during employer sponsored event

You might have a worker's compensation claim. Please call me directly at (619) 222-3504.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/01, 5:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California