Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

Injury suffered at department store

An employee of a store I was shopping in was standing on a ladder stocking shelves down one isle. I was kneeling down on the floor on the next isle over looking at material. The employee knocked over a roll of material from the top shelf onto my back. The blow knocked me to the floor. The employee ran over to see if I was alright. I got her name and asked to speak to a manager or fill out an accident report. All the employee did was to take down my name and number. To make a long story short, I have been in contact with store management and they take full responsibility and have said the insurance company will contact me about my medical bills. That has yet to happen, I have not heard from the insurance company yet. What should I do. What are my option and rights?

Asked on 4/13/06, 2:08 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

Re: Injury suffered at department store

First, you didn't say if you suffered any serious injury. If not, then you had nominal damages and can go to small claims court for yor pain and suffering. Otherwise, make an appointment with a personal injury lawyer in your area. You undoubtedly will get better results with a lawyer on your side than getting nowhere by yourself.

Read more
Answered on 4/17/06, 10:42 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: Injury suffered at department store

IF you are injured with medical bills, then the best advice is to consult with a PI attorney to help maximize your recovery. No defendant is going to offer you full value without counsel and threat of lawsuit. That is simply the way the game is played. You should not expect them to pay your bills without getting you to enter into a settlement agreement.

Read more
Answered on 4/18/06, 2:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California