Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

Have a lawyer write a demand letter for you?

Can a lawyer write a letter for you to someone demanding them to contact you or your lawyer regarding money they owe or else you'll take them to court without actually intending to do so?

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping victims of automobile, motorcycle, pedestrian, slip-and-fall accidents and much more all over California. We can help you recover for your pain and suffering and other losses and expenses. No recovery No fee. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Find Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

Mitchell Roth MW Roth, Professional Law Corporation

Re: Have a lawyer write a demand letter for you?

It depends. The lawyer can write the letter informing them of your claim and your legal rights, but can't threaten to take them to court unless you intend to do so.

Robert L. Bennett Law offices of Robert L. Bennett

I agree with Mr. Roth, but I would go further.

You can retain a lawyer merely for the purpose of writing a letter, but, ethically, a lawyer cannot knowingly make false statements, even in a letter.

However, ethically, I certainly wouldn't want to write the letter, even if you hint that you may not follow and file suit.

But, other lawyers might.

It would be more expeditious to learn the facts of your case first, and then worry about the letter writing.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California