Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

In March of 2017, my daughter was struck while crossing the street in a marked cross walk. A video captured the entire scene. The Attorney that she hired urged her to settle because the drive had minimum insurance and no assets to speak of. My daughter continues to have medical issues, and she's not able to address those issues due to financial hardship.

After carefully reviewing the facts of the case, I don't understand why her Attorney didn't initiate a claim against the City/County who maintain the traffic signals at that intersection. The vehicle that hit my daughter was turning left from a turn lane that didn't have a dedicated light. There have been multiple accidents at this intersection because of vision issues, (while sitting in the left turn lane, the windshield post blocks the view of pedestrians waiting to cross).

I believe that the City/County is aware of the need for a dedicated turn lane, but has not acted to correct problem.

The original lawsuit should have named the City/County as well as the driver. I would like to know if there is an Attorney out there with the skill to take and win this case.

Asked on 1/03/21, 1:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Stone-Molloy The Lion's Law Office

The problem is that to make a lawsuit against a government entity, you have to file a claim form with that entity within six months of the accident. Since it's going on four years now, I can't imagine how it would be possible to do that now.

Read more
Answered on 1/03/21, 2:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California