Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

sports injury

My 12 year old son was playing in a pick up game of baseball. When he swung the bat, it slipped and hit another child in the face. The child had to go to the ER (by ambulance) where he got a CAT scan and was released with stitches. His mother gave me an ER bill for almost $4000. The child has insurance but the mother claimed that he does not have emergency room coverage. I asked for proof of no coverage before I helped with the bill but the mother refused to show me. Am I liable to cover all or part of the bill? Is the mother required to go through insurance if the child has it? I am afraid that she did send it through insurance and now she's trying to collect more money from me.

Asked on 7/29/08, 1:59 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: sports injury

If you have home owner's or renter's insurance turn the claim over to them.

Read more
Answered on 8/02/08, 4:10 pm
Daniel Bakondi The Law Office of Daniel Bakondi

Re: sports injury

I cannot give you specific legal advice because I do not have all the facts and do not know who the other party is. However, I would be happy to discuss if you want to call me.

Disclaimer: Nothing herein constitutes legal advice. No attorney client nor confidential relationship is created. You may not rely on attorney nor anything communicated unless and until an attorney-client relationship has been formed. Your issue may be time sensitive, requiring you to act immediately to prevent loss of your rights or harm to your interests.

Read more
Answered on 7/29/08, 2:25 pm
Robert L. Bennett Law offices of Robert L. Bennett

Re: sports injury

You are probably not liable to cover any of the bill.

The area of law that would be your major defense is called "assumption of the risk".

Go through Google, or any other search engine, and read what you can on this.

Do not even deal with the mother of the injured child (be polite).

If you need more help, please e-mail my office.

Read more
Answered on 7/29/08, 3:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California