Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

I own 71% and my Ex owns 21% of the property......I want to sell it and she doesn't since it gives her home a 5 acre buffer...

I want to sell and move on...I can't improve it anymore since she gains from the improvement with no output.

Can I force the sale since she won't accept a reasonable offer on her 21% at market value..?

Asked on 11/19/18, 9:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gerald Dorfman Dorfman Law Office

Most likely. You will need to file a civil action for "partition". Although there is technically a preference in the law for dividing the property in accordance with ownership interests, such actions usually result in an order of sale. That is because physical division often interferes with use of the land due to zoning and other considerations.

Read more
Answered on 11/20/18, 8:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California