Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

. My father issued a grant deed to me and my mother a married women as her sole and seperate property. I am being told this deed is not sufficent to give sole ownership of a shared property between husband and wife. In california Must i have an interspousal grant deed or orher document notorized and recorded to be valid in califormia?

Thank you for your time 

Asked on 11/19/22, 1:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

You don’t say who the record title holder(s) was/were before your father gave the grant deed, but if title was in your father AND mother jointly, whether as community property/husband and wife or as joint tenants a deed from your father alone just makes a mess of title. There are various ways to make the transfer he wanted to make but that was not it.

Read more
Answered on 11/20/22, 11:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California