Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

I am a homeowner in a rural area of California where rattlesnakes are common. If I hire someone to do yard work on my property, and they get bitten by a rattlesnake, can I be held liable?

Asked on 5/20/13, 1:22 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Selik

Yes, and t hey dont even have to show you did anything wrong.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/13, 1:27 pm

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

There are some things you can do to minimize your risk of a successful lawsuit against yourself:

(1) Carry a homeowner's insurance policy that protects you (ask your agent);

(2) Hire local licensed contractors who are already familiar with rattlesnakes;

(3) Insert a warning about the presence of rattlesnakes in your written contract with workers.

(4) Consider having work done when snakes are seasonally less likely to be present; and

(5) Make sure workers wear protective gear, i.e., high boots.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/13, 2:46 pm
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

You didn't provide your zip code, so I have no way of knowing if you live close enough to me to give you a referral to a guy who rounds up rattlesnakes and installs snake proof fencing. Additionally, I use and recommend Turtleskin snake gaiters and chaps. I personally use them in snake country.

Read more
Answered on 5/28/13, 4:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California