Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

I have my name on two homes that I no longer live in. I want to remove my names from these homes one at a time. The first is a home I purchased with my then husband. He filed for divorce while I was in addiction and in rehab. I signed form saying he could have the house. This was approximately four years ago. Since then I have found out that he did not file paperwork properly and had to refile also had to recently pay past due filing fees in order to petition for a name change. He stated this summer that he wanted to sell the house and needed me to voluntarily sign off on it with no legal paperwork stating that I would get any money. He claimed he would give me a small amount of money once sold because the house is upside down. I have reason to believe that he is not telling the truth. I want to get my name off of the house and want to know if I have any legal right to ask for money when it is sold, based on the timing of when I signed the divorce paperwork and on how none of it seems to have been filed properly in the first place. Also after I moved out of the house I continued to pay most of his bills for two years as he claimed he could not afford the house payment otherwise. As I felt guilty for being in addiction I took his word for it and paid many bills, although I have no way of proving that now. Two years ago he contacted me stating he needed me to send him past tax information as he could no longer afford to pay the payments on the house which I sent and then found out he did not take care of the house he instead bought a new BMW. Which also shows me that he has been fraudulent in statements he has made to me regarding his finances. I am in deep credit problems that stem from my time in addiction. I want to get my name off of this house and also see if I can pursue getting any money from him.

Asked on 1/01/18, 10:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Misty Wilks

CALL a lawyer. Or go to legal aid. Google 'free legal help' in your area if you think you can not afford to pay. Someone might take the matter on contingency; I do not know. Gather as much paperwork as you have that evidences your story (e.g. divorce papers showing any settlement agreements, proof of bills you paid, any deeds, paperwork, contracts, emails, etc. relating to any arrangement). Have someone review your paperwork to determine your rights and responsibilities. Do not do anything, or agree to anything without having something in writing.

You can get a rough estimate of property values at

Read more
Answered on 1/01/18, 12:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California