Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

My ex husband is trying to sue me for the house we bought.last year he signed the deed to me.but he is still on the mortage can he get half

Asked on 4/26/13, 6:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

You don't say whether this house was purchased before or after your marriage was dissolved. I assume, therefore, it was purchased before the divorce, and therefore its ownership as community property must have come up in the dissolution (divorce) proceedings. What does your dissolution judgment say? In dissolving a marriage, the court is supposed to split all the assets and all the liabilities (debts) as equally as possible. Look at your judgment or ask your divorce lawyer. If I'm wrong in assuming that this house was community property and was handled in the divorce proceedings, please re-ask your question giving more complete details including timing of the events.

Read more
Answered on 4/26/13, 7:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California