Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

Would you be so kind as to advise of the ramifications of building a workshop with the intention of having a disabled family member live there?

My deceased parents attempted to build a small home for my disabled sister. Unfortunately, the Sonoma County property located in Petaluma is legal but non-conforming. My parents chose to build a “workshop” with a full bathroom, kitchen, etc, making it a livable space for my sister.

If the County learned it’s being used as a dwelling, in what way would it affect my sister and myself? I, too, live on property in a separate home.

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Asked on 3/22/22, 6:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

They would either order you to make it conforming, get a variance, or demolish it. Which they would order would depend on the specifics of the situation.

Read more
Answered on 3/23/22, 11:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California