Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

I recently found out that the previous owner changed one of my properties into 2 units before i bought my property. The city told me to change it back to a one family home, which i did do. However, the tenants who lived in one of the two units does not want to pay rent for the whole house but at the same time they don't want to move out what should i do?

Asked on 3/09/10, 9:04 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robin Mashal HONG & MASHAL, LLP

Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

If tenant is not paying rent, you need to serve Three Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit. If they neither pay the rent nor move out within the 3-day period, you bring unlawful detainer action to evict them. You should consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.

Read more
Answered on 3/14/10, 9:31 pm

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Subject to whatever written contract you may have, you can seek eviction if they don't pay rent. Consult with a local eviction attorney or eviction help service. for full information.

Read more
Answered on 3/15/10, 12:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California