Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

I rented a home in California to a mother and daughter on a year lease. After a year it converted to month-to-month rental agreement with the same terms and conditions. The daughter gave a notice to move and said that her mother and uncle would stay there. I told her that I did not want to rent to her mother and uncle and that she and her mother would be responsible for the terms of the lease until everyone moved out and the keys were returned to me. There is a clause in the lease stating the each person is jointly and individually responsible for the terms of the lease. The eviction was started, but everyone moved out before there was a judgement. Can I go after the mother and daughter for the money owed, or just the mother? Thanks

Asked on 8/29/13, 10:56 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

You must convert the UD case to a civil collections case. You can recover from whomever you named in the lawsuit. You legally had the right to name the daughter as well as the mother, so hopefully you named her in the case. If not, you MAY be allowed to amend to add her.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/13, 11:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California