Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

We rented a property for 2 weeks in Newport Beach but the management firm misrepresented that there was a TV in the master bedroom, when there was not. Is that against the law or just bad business? How do I notify/find the owner to notify them of the misrepresentation?

Asked on 7/25/17, 4:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

I believe most lawyers would prefer to restrict the term "against the law" to matters that involve violation of a statute or are a common-law crime, which this probably isn't. It's more of a careless misrepresentation that might theoretically allow you to recover money damages in a civil suit, but the economics don't favor your coming out ahead. You might be able to get the property owner's name by direct inquiry with the management firm, or more likely perhaps from property records at the county assessor or recorder's office.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/17, 4:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California