Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

My wife and I are looking to purchase our first home. I'm exploring options on how my IRA accounts can help with the down payment to accomplish that or if that's possible. I want to make sure I handle things appropriately.

Asked on 5/25/21, 8:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

This is more of a tax advisor/cpa question, and it's not actually a question. Having looked at this personally, however, I can tell you a little bit. There are some allowances for using IRA funds for first time home purchases. I'm not sure what they are or how they work, since I did not qualify. I do know that you can "float" an IRA roll-over for up to 6 months. So if you need to temporarily boost your down payment and then can replenish the funds within six months, you can sort of loan your self the money in your IRA. Of course if you don't then put it into a new IRA, and you're not 59-1/2 years old, you'll get hit with income tax on the money plus 10% penalty.

Read more
Answered on 6/03/21, 5:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California