Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

Last Year myself and my Brother bought a property in Chennai, but currently it's registered under my brother name only. Now we want to partition and settle it between us. Pls let me know what is the registration process for splitting and registering the property.

Asked on 10/20/09, 5:01 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

You are using terms, "registration process for splitting and registering the property," that don't have any meaning in California real estate law. So it is impossible to tell what you mean you want to accomplish. Also, you cannot "partition" property that is only owned by one person. The term "partition" is a process of undoing ownership by two or more people.

Read more
Answered on 10/20/09, 5:29 pm
Melvin C. Belli The Belli Law Firm

Seems your property is in India so you need to contact an Indian lawyer to answer your questions. Even though they use English common law as a basis which California also does the laws could be very different so that is why I suggest that you contact an Indian lawyer or someone over here that is licensed to practice in India. I note that there appear to be several on Law Guru so I would suggest that you re-post your request.

Read more
Answered on 10/20/09, 6:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California