Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

Three years ago my now 81 year old father signed over a property, that he co-owned with my mother (they had been separated since 1987), to my sister. He was manipulated and essentially conned by them. He feels as if he was the victim of elder abuse and coerced into signing the house over to my sister. He wants it back. Problem is, he doesn't do anything about it. Therefore, I wanted to get the legal process started for him. Should I seek a Real Estate attorney or an Elder Law attorney?

P.S. Does he stand any chance of getting the property back? For what it's worth, my sister literally convinced him that she would eventually "kill" my mother unless she got the property from my dad. She was living with my other at the time. They are still living together, in fact--she never moved into the house my dad signed over to her. They just knew my dad would want peace between them, so out of desperation he signed the house over to her. It's a 3 bedroom house valued at roughly 1.5 million dollars.



Asked on 2/12/18, 7:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

I would tend toward an elder law specialist, as that's where the critical issues seem to lie. I'd say based on limited experience that he has some chance of prevailing, but it'll depend upon the strength of his arguments re coercion.

Read more
Answered on 2/12/18, 8:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California