Legal Question in Tax Law in California

My husband and I separated last year, I had a feeling he was going to try to file a joint return, even though I clearly told him I would not sign or consent to a joint return. Even though I had no income to report, I decided to file a tax return under married filing separately, to protect myself, just in case. I have just received a letter from the IRS stating that I filed -two- tax returns for 2012, one married filing separately and one married filing jointly! They are asking if I did submit more than one return for 2012, my filing status, if one was intended for a different year (it wasn't) and there is a space for other reasons for filing two income tax returns. How do I respond to this? And what can I do about my soon to be ex-spouse filing a joint return with out my consent?

Asked on 6/13/13, 1:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Christian Rodi Pollock

Why not tell them the truth? Explain exactly what happened.

Read more
Answered on 8/01/13, 6:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in California