Legal Question in Tax Law in California

as an individual can i settle my debt with the irs or would it be better to hire a firm and are theses firms do what they say like settle pennies on the dollars. thank you

Asked on 8/27/09, 5:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Burton Haynes Burton J. Haynes, P.C.

In my humble opinion, you should stay far away from the late night TV infomercial marketers and the internet "tax resolution" firms. The IRS would love to put the "offer mills" of the world out of business, and you can see the IRS's warnings in this regard on the IRS's website at You are far better off finding a local attorney or tax accountant knowledgeable about IRS disputes and procedures. One suggestion is to call your state's CPA association (like the [State] Association of CPAs), and ask who teaches their own seminars on dealing with the IRS, or who heads their IRS Procedures Committee. That will tell you who in your state the CPAs themselves think knows this area well enough to put on continuing professional education seminars for the rest of them, and that's who you want to hire.

Read more
Answered on 8/31/09, 1:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in California