Legal Question in Tax Law in California

Unfiled tax return for deceased mother

After my mother's recent death, it was discovered she had not filed a personal income tax return for 10 years. She had the mistaken belief that one did not need to file a return after the age of 70. The trustee of her living trust also did not file a return for her, dispite having durable power of attorney. How do I as coexecutor of her estate solve this problem?

Asked on 3/23/04, 6:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ken Koenen Koenen & Tokunaga, P.C.

Re: Unfiled tax return for deceased mother

Another questions is, was she required to file tax returns? Not all income is taxable. You should probably sit down with an accountant or tax attorney to look at what should have been done.

Read more
Answered on 3/23/04, 7:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in California