Legal Question in Traffic Law in California

i was recently involved in a hit and run a week ago, my friend was suposed to be my ride home be got drunk, he asked me to drive and i said ok, i backed out and hit a car, damage was minor but my friend kept telling me to drive away because he didnt have insurance on him, i was scared and did what he said. they got his license plate and filed a report, my friend is asking me to clarify to his insurance company that i was the one driving, but the thing is i dont have my licnese and he still thinks that i do. i havent said anything yet what should i do

Asked on 4/25/13, 7:09 pm

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

For more information visit us at

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jacob Kiani Law Office of Jacob I. Kiani

What do you mean by filed a report? Did they just send him a letter in the mail and ask him to report with the car to the police station. If so, you need to hire an attorney immediately, as you have to know what your rights are. They have to prove you committed the hit and run. Don't prove it for them by admitting you were involved in a hit and run and going to the police station and telling them about it when you have no obligation to do anything or to go to the cops or to incriminate yourself in any way. Your friend is not required to go to the police station and incriminate himself either. Just ignore it unless they come to your house with a search or arrest warrant.

Read more
Answered on 4/28/13, 5:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in California