Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

Can my attorney hold back some of my inheritance that is held in trust after a year passed by and there are no Judgements, and all taxes are paid? The money is held in a joint account and my sister will not co-sign a check with me to get the money out and divide, which leaves both our attorneys refraining from us getting it out. They say, we might have more bills with them, and to keep it in the bank.

Asked on 9/21/13, 7:53 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Jordan Dunning Law Firm

No, what you describe seems unreasonable. But, I would need to know more information before advising how to resolve this dilemma.

Read more
Answered on 9/23/13, 10:26 am

Victor Waid Law Office of Victor Waid

You may want to obtain the services of a probate litigation attorney to make an appropriate demand for your share of the joint account, and if no response by the attorneys or sister, file a petition for an accounting and court ordered division of the proceeds, if no person can show any other debts/judgments are out standing and all of the taxes due respective government agencies have been paid. And include a demand for additional attorney fees and costs for being forced to commence litigation to force the division of the account.

Read more
Answered on 9/23/13, 1:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California