Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

I need an attorney to write a letter demanding/requesting trustee/sister complete asset distribution. Its been 2 years. Amount remaining is not enough for representation. However, I'm willing to pay up to $1,000.00 rather than give it to the selfish sibling. Any fresh new attorneys willing to assist with this?

Asked on 3/30/21, 3:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

I'm an old and certainly not fresh attorney and you're right that $1,000 will get you a review of the trust documents and a letter, and that's about it. Before you go down that path, are you even certain there is a duty to distribute? I'm the successor trustee of my parents' trust, and although I know it is their intention that I distribute their trust estate once they both pass away, the trust gives me discretion not to do so, as long as I manage the estate for "the benefit" of myself and my siblings. So I could theoretically liquidate everything, invest it, and pay out the proceeds only. Or I could even just sit on it if my siblings would, say, waste the money on drugs and gambling, until they got help. What I'm getting at is that it's not even worth you spending the $1,000 on a scary letter unless there is actually an obligation to distribute. Otherwise she will just laugh it off.

Read more
Answered on 4/22/21, 9:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California