Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

Elder Abuse?

My uncle is 85 he sold his house for 800k when he was 81. He moved into a local house that cost 250K and his housekeeper followed him and moved in, now I found out she somehow got a power of attorney, and his house he bought solely in cash is now in joint tenancy with the housekeeper and her husband they both moved in, when I came to see him the housekeeper said the house and his bank account is now jointly held. I talked to him and even though he said he wants to give his inheritance to charity the housekeeper told me the will says she gets everything. She even somehow dissolved his trust that said so.

What can I do? Can an attorney do anything as he is my uncle? I think he is being taken advantage of. My aunt wants to avoid litigation and my other aunt wants to see if I can get him to give everything to her. I hate my Uncle being taken advantage of. Can I hire an attorney to stop this robbery of his estate?

Asked on 3/08/13, 9:48 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Thomas Reid Happe Reid, PC

You need an estate litigator as soon as possible.

Read more
Answered on 3/08/13, 9:51 pm

Chris Johnson Christopher B. Johnson, Attorney at Law

I agree--see an attorney experienced in financial elder abuse--the first consultations shouldn't cost you, and act soon to prevent assets from disappearing.

Read more
Answered on 3/09/13, 5:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California