Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My father died, he had a girlfriend for 10 years that would visit him ONLY on the weekend. He never gave her money, credit cards, or paid any of her bills. She is now suing for oral promises made (2.5 million)

He had an irrevocable trust, all that was left out was the yacht(250k)

Girlfriend was appointed a the personnel representative....

I'm so confused.... How can she sue and be the personnel rep... What are the odds that she will win

Help me please

Asked on 7/23/14, 6:25 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

The only help, or advice, that you are going to get of any value is to hire counsel to represent you in the legal proceedings that are going to be required to try to sort out and resolve this situation.

If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Iíll be happy to help fight and get the best outcome possible.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/14, 6:54 pm
Victor Waid Law Office of Victor Waid

The odds of you prevailing in this matter will improve significantly if you engage with trust/probate litation counsel to represent you in this matter, immediately.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/14, 7:06 pm
Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

It is impossible to say what is going on in this case, without seeing the trust document and the papers regarding the lawsuit. It is possible to be a personal representative and simultaneously have a claim against the estate, though I find that unusual.

This situation is serious enough that you need professional assistance. You need to contact a lawyer who can handle trust and probate disputes, and knows how to handle claims for oral promises like the one that the girlfriend is making here. This type of situation is not unusual.

Read more
Answered on 7/24/14, 2:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California